8.18.2010

Quick Bytes - Summer 2010.

A few photos for you to digest:


Pea Soup
Garlic crostini, minted fresh pea puree, crisp prosciutto, Parmesan frico

Tiramisu 

 This is the most unnecessarily complicated recipe I've ever made. Good, but too sweet. 
(http://www.cafenilson.com/2010/02/daring-bakers-tiramisu/)

Nori
 Didn't think dried seaweed could be so pretty, huh?


Chai
 I try to customize my own blends by adding more cardamom, crushed cinnamon sticks, and cloves. I also don't make mine too sweet, but it's a matter of preference.

Tabla Egg Yolk Raviolo
 The yolk oozes out making a pleasing sauce with the ricotta/swiss chard filling. I served these atop brioche croutons, asparagus, and a variety of beets. I wouldn't recommend going to the thinnest setting on your pasta machine. I went to 8 (out of 9) and I thought it was actually too thin. Also, the duck egg in the bottom right was an epic failure. Apparently they have too much moisture to be contained. Working on it.
(http://feastpdx.blogspot.com/2008/09/tabla-egg-ravioli.html)

La Grande Orange's Brussels Sprout salad with mustard vinagrette
 Okay, this isn't the finished product - I ate it too fast to remember photos. Seriously, best salad I've had in a long time. I added some mint to mine and it was a perfect counterpoint to the braised lamb I served with it.
(http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-sos1-2009apr01,0,7915994.story)

Strawberry mascarpone tart
 What a headache. I'm not a baker.

Beignets at Cafe Du Monde
 I admit it, I'm a tourist.

Muffuletta from Central Grocery
 I can't help myself.

Padron Peppers and Patatas Bravas
 Please buy these for me: http://www.tienda.com/food/products/vg-08.html - Only $30 shipping!
Roulette Prawns [Cal Pep]
 Tom remembers these well.

Jamon Iberico
 The turning point for most Jews and Muslims.
 
Squid Ink Paella

MORE PRAWNS!
 The day after Tom got food poisoning from an errant prawn I made reservations to the best paella place in town. He was mighty excited about the prospect of MORE prawns.

Fresh Fish [Bouqeria Market]
 Still stiff with rigor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter